Thursday, May 19, 2016

Day 7: Success

After a week of hopeless searching, I think I've finally found my subject! I decided to wander desperately around Alexanderplatz today in the hopes of finding someone even remotely interesting, and I stumbled upon a guy singing and playing guitar with a drummer. After they finished the last song, I approached them, and the lead singer agreed to be my subject! They are part of a Ukrainian band called Forkida. Although I don't have any photos from the encounter, I'm going to photograph them performing tomorrow morning.


Here's a photo of another street performer who started doing tricks with a soccer ball right after Forkida ended their performance. You could probably walk around Alexanderplatz for a full day and never get bored.


In the afternoon, our group toured the Reichstag building, the Berlin capitol building. Inside, we traveled up to the very top and went inside a huge glass dome.


Here's another street performer we saw on our way back from the Reichstag.



Our last guest speaker we went to visit was Christoph Nieman, a freelance illustrator, graphic designer and author. He's designed the covers of The New Yorker, Time and the New York Times magazines. He was probably my favorite guest speaker because I really admired his work, and I could tell how much he loves what he does.

Day 7 taught me that street performers are everywhere, that creativity and work can overlap and that Berlin isn't always cold and wet.



No comments:

Post a Comment