Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Day 3: History & Culture

While the bike tour showcased a lot of modern Berlin, Day 3’s walking tour focused on the history of the city. My favorite sight was the Berliner Dom, an ancient Protestant Cathedral.



The structure’s iconic greenish top was visible from most of our tour. It was incredibly striking from up close and from afar.



The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe was another memorable stop on the tour. The most interesting thing about it is the fact that it was built to be interpreted any way the viewer chooses.

The tour ended at Checkpoint Charlie, one of the most famous Berlin border crossings during the late 20th century. 



 Afterwards, during free time, we went to the Karneval der Kulturen or Carnival of Cultures, a parade celebrating the different cultures of Berlin. It was beautiful, diverse and unlike anything I’ve ever experienced.



We also stumbled upon some street performers dancing. Although I couldn’t actually see their show through the crowd, afterwards, one of the performers taught a little boy some of his moves. It was adorable.



I finished the day with my first Doner Kebap, which didn’t disappoint.


Day 3 taught me that Berlin has more history than I could ever imagine, the city is incredibly diverse and that even tiny little boys can dance way better than I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment